Lovely Lemon Pound Cake
One 6-cup (1.5 L) Bundt cake OR one 9×5″ (1.5 L) loaf pan
About this Recipe
Recipe from Bake with Anna Olson
by Random House, 2016
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) fine salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ¾ cup (175 mL) icing sugar, sifted
NOTES: Cake freezes well for up to 3 months.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat oven to 275°F and grease and flour a loaf or bundt pan.
Using electric beaters or with a tabletop mixer, beat butter, sugar and zest until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture in two additions, mixing on low speed. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 325°F (140°C) and bake for another 50 to 60 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then turn cake out to cool completely.
For glaze, whisk lemon juice and icing sugar together until smooth and pour over cake. Let glaze set, then wrap and store at room temperature until ready to serve.