Loaded Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Chews
About 3 ½ dozen
About this Recipe
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) packed dark brown or demerara sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder (regular or Dutch process)
- ⅓ cup (50g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (1.5g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 ½ cups (150g) regular rolled oats
- 1 cup (100g) flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- ¾ cup (105g) dried cranberries
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and brown sugar by hand until well-combined (the mixture will not be creamy or fluffy). Beat in the egg followed by the vanilla.
Sift the flour, the remaining 1 1/4 cups (250 g) of sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl (if using a stand mixer, you do not need to wash the bowl or whip attachment after whipping the egg whites). Add the lime zest, lime juice, oil and the 7 egg yolks. Whip on medium-low speed for 1 minute and then increase the speed to medium-high, whipping for about 2 minutes, until the batter is smooth.
Sift the cocoa, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt over the bowl and stir in. Stir in the oats until they are well-coated with batter and then stir in the coconut, chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
Drop the cookie batter by spoonfuls, or using a small ice cream scoop, onto the baking trays, leaving 2-inches (5 cm) between them. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, until they lose their shine at the edges. Cool the cookies on the trays, on cooling racks, before removing to store in an airtight container.