- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan with parchment paper.
- For the base, stir the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder in a large mixing bowl by hand. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is rough and crumbly (like a fruit crisp topping).
- Firmly press two-thirds of this mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes, until browned just a little at the edges. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
- For the filling, arrange the sliced apples on top of the baked crust (it’s okay if it’s still warm). Drizzle ½ cup (125 mL) of the warm caramel sauce over the apples, and then top with the remaining crumble mixture, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature. 6. Drizzle the remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) of caramel sauce over the pan and then chill uncovered for at least 2 hours before slicing.
Set for the Holidays with Anna Olson, Appetite by Random House, 2018
Photos: Janis Nicolay