Chewy Ginger & Medjool Date cookies
~2 ½ dozen cookies
About this Recipe
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup (137 g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fancy molasses
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups (262 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (50 g) rolled oats
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 ½ cups (220 g) chopped, pitted Medjool dates
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and brown sugar together by hand in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Stir in the molasses and ginger, followed by the egg.
Sift the flour, ginger, 1 tsp of the cinnamon baking soda and salt into a separate bowl. Add the dates and oats and stir to break up the date pieces. Add the flour to the butter mixture and stir until the dough is evenly combined.
Scoop spoonsful of dough (about 2 Tbsp) and shape into a ball. Stir the granulated sugar and remaining 1 tsp of cinnamon in a shallow dish. Roll each cookie into the sugar and place onto a parchment-lined baking tray, leaving 2 inches between the cookies.
Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes until they brown around the edges a little. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.