- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper to combine. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingertips until the mixture is a rough crumbly texture but pieces of butter are still visible. Stir in the chopped white chocolate to coat with the flour.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg then whisk in the milk and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour and stir until the dough just begins to come together, and then turn it out onto a work surface.
- Using your hands, flatten and fold the dough 2 or 3 times, until the dough is an even texture. Roll out the dough to just under an inch in thickness and cut scones with a 2 ½ inch round cutter, re-rolling the dough as needed to get 12 scones.
- Place the scones an inch apart on the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with milk. Bake the scones for about 15 minutes until they have browned evenly.
The scones are best served the day they are baked, but can be re-heated the second day for five minutes in a 300°F oven to re-fresh them.