- Using electric beaters or a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy, at least three minutes. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. On low speed, blend in the flour and salt (for chocolate cookies include cocoa powder) until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into two discs, wrap in plastic and chill for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Pull the dough from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you wish to bake the cookies. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough to soften it slightly and then roll it out to about ¼-inch thickness. Use heart-shaped cookie-cutter to cut out cookies and lift them carefully onto the prepared baking trays. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes [time may vary depending on the size of the cookies] until just the edges of the cookies turn a light golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool for two minutes on the tray, then lift onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, you can decorate the cookies as you wish. Below are some ideas.
The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
ROYAL ICING DECORATED SUGAR COOKIES
Makes about 1 ½ cups of icing
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ tbsp meringue powder
- 3 - 4 tbsp water
- food colouring
- sprinkles, candies and coloured sugars for décor
Using electric beaters, or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all of the
ingredients together until fluffy, adding the additional fourth tablespoon of water if needed to
make the icing pipe-able. Color the icing as desired, and keep well wrapped before using.
Ice and decorate cookies as desired.
WINDOW PANE SUGAR COOKIES
Add a glass window effect to your Valentine cookies.
When cutting out your cookie dough, cut a hole in the center of each heart-shaped cookie with a smaller heart-shaped cookie and then bake. Once cooled, sprinkle crushed hard candies of a single colour [red, pink, clear] and return the tray to the oven until the candies have melted to fill in the window, about three minutes at 350°F.
If you wish, you can further decorate the cookies with royal icing.
LINZER SUGAR COOKIES
When cutting out your cookie dough, cut all cookies using the same cutter, then for half of the cookies, cut a smaller heart out of the center before baking. Once cooled, dust the cut-out cookies with icing sugar, then spread a layer of raspberry jam on the base cookie and top with the dusted cookie.