- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 10-cup bundt pan well and dust thoroughly with flour, tapping out any excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the pumpkin purée, carrot juice (or apple juice or water), vegetable oil and egg yolks until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt and stir this into the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Whip the reserved 7 egg whites until they hold a medium peak (they stand up with just a little curl when beaters are lifted) and fold them into the batter in 2 additions. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan (the batter will be fluid) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. IMPORTANT: Cool the cake upside down on a cooling rack until completely cooled. To remove the cake, insert a skewer in just a few places at the outside edge and at the centre tube to loosen slightly, then tap the cake out.
- For the glaze, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Switch to a whisk and add the milk a tablespoon at a time, until a glaze consistency is achieved – the glaze should be able to cascade over the bundt cake without being runny. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread gently to coax it a little over the sides. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill the cake until ready to serve.
The cake will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days. Alternatively, an unglazed cake can be stored, wrapped, at room temperature for 3 days, and dusted with icing sugar before serving.