- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, pulse the flour, pistachios, sugar and salt until the pistachios are #nely ground into the mixture.
- Add the butter and vanilla and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Spoon teaspoonfuls of dough and roll them into balls about an inch across and place them an inch apart on the prepared baking trays.
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes, until the bottoms just begin to colour. Cool the cookies completely on the baking trays then roll them in icing sugar to coat.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
NOTE: Tender nuts like pistachios, pecans, walnuts and pine nuts can typically be interchanged in recipes, so that you can tailor your cookies to suit your tastes or what you may have on hand.
The oils in these nut varieties are quite delicate, and can turn rancid quickly. If you do not plan on using your stock of nuts within 2 months, it’s best to store them, well-wrapped, in the freezer.