Cooked couscous for serving.
- Cut the peel away from the orange with a knife, peeling it right through to the juicy part. Chop the orange into pieces and set both the peel and orange aside.
- In a large sauté pan (that has a lid), heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion, sautéing until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced chicken, along with the orange peel, garlic, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cumin and turmeric, salt and a generous amount of pepper and sauté for 2 minutes more. Stir in the chicken stock, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Uncover the pan and remove the orange peel and cinnamon sticks. Stir in the reserved orange pieces, dates, olives, green onion, parsley, coriander and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Stir the cornstarch with three tbsp of water, returning the tagine to a simmer.
- Serve the tagine topped with the sliced almonds and with a side of couscous. Hot sauce can also be added.