- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment so that the paper comes up the sides of the pan.
- Stir the sugar, cocoa and oil together until moistened.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk to blend.
- Add the rice !our, cornstarch and salt and stir until incorporated. Stir in the walnut pieces.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake the brownies for about 25 minutes, until they lose their shine and when a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool the brownies to room temperature before slicing.
The brownies will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
From “Back to Baking”, Anna Olson, Whitecap Books 2011.